EDIT: The County Chair has announced that in accordance with the rules below, the nomination meeting will take place on Saturday, November 18th from noon-2pm at Penn State Greater Allegheny in the Ostermayer Room of the Student Community Center. 4000 University Dr. McKeesport, PA 15132. Questions should be directed to Democratic Headquarters at 412-481-5646.
ORIGINAL POST BELOW THIS LINE
As a result of the vacancy for the office of State Representative in the 35th Legislative District, The following procedures to recommend a nominee for the special election are as follows:
- Filing for office
- Any person wishing to declare themselves as a candidate for nomination must meet the eligibility requirements for the office.
- Candidates must file a letter with the Allegheny County Democratic Committee by 5pm on Friday, November 10th, 2017 in order to be considered for the nomination.
- This letter must be received by the deadline – a postmark will not suffice.
- The letter must contain the full legal name, signature, address, date of birth, and contact information for the candidate and a formal declaration of their wish to seek the Party’s nomination.
- Personal information will not be released to the public, but the names of candidates shall be released to the press upon request.
- The letter may be sent as an email attachment to email@example.com
- Eligible Voters
- Members of the Allegheny County Democratic Committee who reside in the 35th Legislative District at the time of the issuance of these rules shall be eligible to cast a vote for the nomination.
- Eligible voters will be informed of their eligibility by US mail in advance of the meeting.
- Procedures of the meeting
- The meeting will be held at a time and place to be announced by the County Chair.
- In order to credential for the meeting, eligible voters must appear in person and present identification. Proxy or absentee balloting is not permitted.
- Voting will be conducted by secret ballot.
- At the conclusion of the voting time, ballots will be counted by the County Chair or her designee.
- Candidates will be permitted to observe this procedure.
- A candidate who receives a majority of the number of votes cast shall be considered the recommended candidate and will be reported as such to the executive committee of the Pennsylvania Democratic Party for their ratification.
- Should no candidate receive a majority of the total votes, the results of the vote will be reported to the executive committee of the Pennsylvania Democratic Party with the information that no candidate received a majority.
Adopted and Signed:
Nancy Patton Mills, Chair, Allegheny County Democratic Committee